SWOT analyses: Complex “heart” surgery can’t take months
Tuesday, 8 March, 2011 Leave a comment
It doesn’t matter whether it is a business YOU have built from scratch over many years; if it is a business turnaround; introducing Enterprise Risk Management; Corporate Process Management; Operational review, etc. getting to the heart of a complex business is a notoriously slow, painful and potentially costly process.
Financial data will provide little, as it is probably the reason why an exercise is being undertaken!
Qualitative feedback comes with a “tainted” perspective – whether top down or bottom-up – and can say more about the scale of the problem than it does about its nature.
Silos can be difficult to “get inside” or break down.
Buy-in is a whole different ball-game!!!
CHANGE MANAGEMENT ain’t easy and “time is money” that, often, can be ill-afforded.
One sure-fire way of getting insight, that is otherwise unavailable and provides an objective [100% quantitative] is a Complexity Analysis from Ontonix.
SO, if someone tells you “all I want is the best for the business” and that they, their role or their division “…are part of the solution, not the problem” you can test that out by mapping the interdependencies, strengths and weaknesses within the organisation.
Once you measure the health of the system you have a basis for sound, verifiable, decisions that are geared to maintaining, managing or improving the health of the business for its stakeholders.
WITHOUT measurement the complexity of the organisation may be compounded by that of the task: rendering projected timescales, improvements, savings and meaningful (sustainable) change, ineffective OR able, only to be assessed in terms of random outcomes…pot luck!
Good luck with that!
However, if you want to eliminate as much of the uncertainty and risk from these processes as is possible, I would be happy to hear from you. The Ontonix technology is unique: rigorously tested; reliable; effective; quantifiable; verifiable and, depending upon the size of the task, considerably cheaper that deploying a competent person.
- Updated – Reveal Your Hidden Profits: Looking at complexity in business? (fitforrandomness.wordpress.com)
- It’s a fuzzy old world! (fitforrandomness.wordpress.com)
- Raising performance by reducing complexity – McKinsey Quarterly interview TalkTalk CIO (fitforrandomness.wordpress.com)
- Give ME the data and I’ll make you a smarter, safer, business!!! (fitforrandomness.wordpress.com)
- An atomic theory of business size (fitforrandomness.wordpress.com)
- BP Report: Black Swan …or just a bird covered in oil!? (fitforrandomness.wordpress.com)